Thursday, August 26, 2010

The hills


I spent today exploring the southern end of the Loess Hills Scenic Byway, a route that stretches over 200 miles through the Loess Hills along the western edge of Iowa. It's an interesting drive, winding through and along the edge of the bluffs that rise above the Missouri River valley. I discovered a couple of places that I am sure I will be revisiting at a later date.


For those interested in traveling the Byway, be advised. The route can be frustrating to follow with signage that seems to just disappear from time to time. To see the best parts of the Byway, there are several loops that require driving for many miles on gravel roads. The loops meander through the Loess Hills far more than the main route.

The top photograph is from the Waubonsie Cemetery in Mills County. The Waubonsie Church and Cemetery stand alone along a quiet country road along one of the Byway's loops. Below is a photograph from an old mural painted on a building in the town of Tabor.

I plan on traveling the northern section of the Byway in the coming weeks.

Also visited: Pony Creek, Pacific Junction, Thurman, Sidney, Waubonsie State Park and Hamburg, Iowa. Star School Hill Prairie and Rock Port, Missouri. Brownville and Peru, Nebraska.

1 comment:

blakelylemayberry said...

My family's farm is just north of Waubonsie Church - I learned how to drive on those rambling gravel roads. The mural in Tabor was painted by a local artist named Chris Langille, he is an amazing human being, and he taught most of what I know about art (and some about life too). If you want some more ideas of places to go in the Loess Hills, check out my panoramio page (my username is Blake of the Bluffs).
It's an amazing place for a photographer to get lost in - I'm glad to see someone else appreciates it.